Average Wizard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here all Average Wizards can talk about the HP books, movies, events, theme park, parodies, etc. However, no posting stories that did not get onto Average Wizard.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Squibs

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
muggleborn_

muggleborn_

Squibs Empty
PostSubject: Squibs   Squibs EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 4:31 am

Alright, this comes from a discussion I was having with my other HP buddy (who for some reason won't join us. Rolling Eyes ) earlier.

Say a Squib is born to a wizarding family. Said Squib marries a muggle. They have a witch/wizard child. Would that child be considered a Halfblood, since the Squib was from a wizarding family, or a (I hate this word) Mudblood, because the Squib posesses no magical abilities? Then there's the problem of the prejudice against Squibs from some wizards, so would the child be called a Mudblood because of that? What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/lindzypops
the_8th_weasley

Squibs Empty
PostSubject: Squibs   Squibs EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 4:41 am

Well I joined, please be happy now.

Anyways, as I was saying in our convo, they must be Halfbloods. They cant be Mudbloods b/c one is still of magical decent, which the definition of Mudblood clearly states it's the bloodline. There must be a separate category for Squib/Muggle children, we just don't know it.

What I would like to know is who is looked down on more? A child with two non magical parents, or a child with a non magical parent and another parent who simply can't seem to do magic?
Back to top Go down
muggleborn_

muggleborn_

Squibs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squibs   Squibs EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 4:59 am

YAY. Very Happy

And you make a point, but I'm talking more about how they're perceived. Yunno? Cause there's a huge prejudice against Squibs, just as much of one as Mudbloods. So, like you also said, they might be called Mudbloods just because of that. Razz
Back to top Go down
readergirl1028

readergirl1028

Squibs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squibs   Squibs EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 5:50 pm

I agree with the_8th_weasley. They'd be halfblood, even if both of the parents didn't have magical powers. As long as they had wizarding ancestors, they have to be.

I don't think the prejudice really matters here, as far as their actual blood status goes. In that context (most contexts, actually), it's just an insult- it doesn't change their actual blood status. I see it the way I'd see someone calling someone else a bastard- in a technical sense, it means they were born out of wedlock, but you can still be called a bastard even if you aren't technically one. And, if someone calls you that, it doesn't automatically make you one. Understand what I mean?

(Again, if you didn't read my other post, sorry if I'm not making a whole lot of sense. I got about 2 hours of sleep last night and I'm really tired. Sleep )
Back to top Go down
http://freshairandgeniuses.tumblr.com
muggleborn_

muggleborn_

Squibs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squibs   Squibs EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 7:11 pm

I totally get what you're saying, no worries. :]

This was more the result of me being sleep deprived than anything, so I know how you feel.
Back to top Go down
readergirl1028

readergirl1028

Squibs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squibs   Squibs EmptyTue Aug 10, 2010 7:14 pm

Okay, awesome, thanks! I've kind of been walking around all afternoon being like,

"Hey, mom? It's finished but I didn't get to do the *mumble mumble mumble*.... Oh, nevermind, I didn't... well, I did, but it's not, and I... Weasley? *sigh* Goodbye."
Back to top Go down
http://freshairandgeniuses.tumblr.com
birdpatr

Squibs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squibs   Squibs EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Erm. Not to revive a concluded arguement, but I think they're Muggle-borns because the only people who are really concerned with blood status pretty much think that Squibs are "as bad" as Muggles.

Also, JKR said that most Muggle-borns have at least one wizarding relative: magic is a weird gene, and sometimes pops up unexpectedly. Therefore, using that arguement, you could argue that all wizards/witches are half-bloods (or at least have some wizarding blood) and therefore there's no such thing as a truly muggle-born witch or wizard.

Sorry for rambling, or if this doesn't make sense, but that's my view on the subject. Smile
Back to top Go down
?LunaLuv

Squibs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squibs   Squibs EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 11:00 pm

That is an excellent question. And seems like a very complicated one.

While Muggle-borns are considered to be "as bad as Muggles" in Wizarding geneology (a Muggle-born crossed with a Half-blood's child would still be considered Half-blood despite two magical parents), I would imagine the same case to be with Squibs. Although I don't think a Squib/Muggle child would be considered Muggle-born. Personally I think they would be something between a Muggle-born and a Half-blood. Good question though, we should consult J.K. Rowling on that.
Back to top Go down
<3LE

Squibs Empty
PostSubject: squibs    Squibs EmptyMon May 16, 2011 3:57 am

hey never been to this group before but if you were to call someone a squib would it be more affesive then calling them a mudblood, just thinking what would happen to be a worse insult not that i want to insult anyone just wondering??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Squibs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squibs   Squibs Empty

Back to top Go down

Squibs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Average Wizard Forum :: Books-
Jump to: