Average Wizard Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here all Average Wizards can talk about the HP books, movies, events, theme park, parodies, etc. However, no posting stories that did not get onto Average Wizard.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Which Dumbledore?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MyMischiefManaged

MyMischiefManaged

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptyMon Dec 06, 2010 7:45 pm

So, I was wondering: Did you guys like Richard Harris's Dumbledore (Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets) more or less than Michael Gambon's (Prisoner of Azkaban to the present)? I was very upset at Harris's death in... was it '02 or '03? I can't remember, too lazy to check... I think it was '02. Yeah. But anyway, do you guys think Gambon makes a good Dumbledore too? Do you think Gambon's Dumbledore is better? Worse? Back in third grade I sat in the library discussing this quite in-depth with a close friend, and I'm sure it was a very entertaining conversation for the librarians to eavesdrop on.

On that note, which teenage Tom Riddle do you like better, Christian Coulson (Chamber of Secrets) or Frank Dillane (Half-Blood Prince)?

Any other actor changes you'd like to note (Can't think of any big ones right now).
That is all.
Back to top Go down
DorkyBookworm
Admin
DorkyBookworm

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 2:39 pm

MyMischiefManaged wrote:
So, I was wondering: Did you guys like Richard Harris's Dumbledore (Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets) more or less than Michael Gambon's (Prisoner of Azkaban to the present)? I was very upset at Harris's death in... was it '02 or '03? I can't remember, too lazy to check... I think it was '02. Yeah. But anyway, do you guys think Gambon makes a good Dumbledore too? Do you think Gambon's Dumbledore is better? Worse? Back in third grade I sat in the library discussing this quite in-depth with a close friend, and I'm sure it was a very entertaining conversation for the librarians to eavesdrop on.

On that note, which teenage Tom Riddle do you like better, Christian Coulson (Chamber of Secrets) or Frank Dillane (Half-Blood Prince)?

Any other actor changes you'd like to note (Can't think of any big ones right now).
That is all.

Ok first off: Richard Harris!!!! <3 god I loved that man, his death was tragic, he couldn't have waited a couple more years until Dumbledore died? Nooooo he had to die then! lol, that sounds heartless, but I'm not I promise, I loved that man, he was the perfect Dumbledore in my opinion!!!

Michael Gambon.... I will try to keep it short to avoid rambling about how much I didn't like him in the movies, so I will just stick to this: In Goblet of Fire he spazzed after Harry's name came out! In the books he was all calm, but in the movies he attacked Harry!!! What is that?!?!?!
( http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_zyUvaksHeGA/TFoiFmVP-TI/AAAAAAAAABM/qiDV-OaUpXc/s1600/Comic_Book_vs_Movie_Dumbledore_by_kellywormtongue.jpg )
And as a great band (Peeved) once said "Michael Gambon acting sucks!" Very Happy

As for Tom Riddle, idk... I like them both, but I think to compare Chamber of Secrets and Half-blood prince is kind of complicated, cause one was portraying teenage voldie, while one was portraying resurrected voldie. you know what I mean?
Back to top Go down
http://averagewizard.heavenforum.com
MyMischiefManaged

MyMischiefManaged

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptyThu Dec 09, 2010 10:36 pm

I agree with you about Gambon, Dorky. I pretty much hated Michael Gambon's Dumbledore at first, but got accustomed to him as time went on. And you're right, CoS is hard to compare with HBP. Well, except that there WAS the flashback scene in CoS of Tom in his Hogwarts days, although I imagine since it was from his diary that would be how he thought himself to appear/act at that time. For some reason I liked the CoS Tom better, although the HBP Tom was great too. I think it's probably the CoS Tom's hair that did it for me xD lol.
But I could go on for hours in debate about that, ehehehe.
Back to top Go down
NTonksAuror

NTonksAuror

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 4:21 pm

MyMischiefManaged wrote:
I agree with you about Gambon, Dorky. I pretty much hated Michael Gambon's Dumbledore at first, but got accustomed to him as time went on. And you're right, CoS is hard to compare with HBP. Well, except that there WAS the flashback scene in CoS of Tom in his Hogwarts days, although I imagine since it was from his diary that would be how he thought himself to appear/act at that time. For some reason I liked the CoS Tom better, although the HBP Tom was great too. I think it's probably the CoS Tom's hair that did it for me xD lol.
But I could go on for hours in debate about that, ehehehe.

I agree with you on this. Richard Harris was the original Dumbledore, which makes it even more special watching SS and CoS (The two most magical movies). However, I've come to terms with Gambon over the years. I mean, I think it would be a little difficult to see Harris climbing around the cafe in HBP. And with the whole Riddle thing- I definitely prefer CoS Tom over HBP..... he seems more.... Tom Riddle-ish.
Back to top Go down
myfriendisdobby

myfriendisdobby

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptyFri Dec 10, 2010 7:21 pm

WOOOOOOOO I'm done with finals!!!! Winter break and no school for the next 3 weeks, finally!!!! Very Happy

Okay! Anyways. Oh Richard Harris, always! That part in GOF bothers me SO much. It's like Dumbledore is crazy in that scene. He did SO much better in HBP though. I've grown to like his portrayal of Dumbledore but Richard Harris will always be the real Dumbledore to me.

I have the Film Wizardry book and there's a quote of Gambon in it saying he's really just playing himself with a beard. Uhh isn't being an actor meaning you're acting as someone else, not yourself? And he hasn't even read the books which kind of shows how he doesn't really know his character that well. I mean, yeah, the people who work there like the directors and stuff (ugh, I'm horrible with film terms) probably told him how to act and stuff but come on! You have to understand your character and know what he would do in those situations, don't just make him completely different. I'm not saying I hate Gambon. With him, we see a different Dumbledore and I've grown to like it but there are just some things that bother me.

As for Tom Riddle, when I first saw Riddle in HBP I was a little ehhh about it. He didn't seem to fit as well but after watching it a bajillion times, I've grown to like him but COS Riddle is better to me.
Back to top Go down
DorkyBookworm
Admin
DorkyBookworm

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptySat Dec 11, 2010 3:34 am

myfriendisdobby wrote:
WOOOOOOOO I'm done with finals!!!! Winter break and no school for the next 3 weeks, finally!!!! Very Happy

I have the Film Wizardry book and there's a quote of Gambon in it saying he's really just playing himself with a beard. Uhh isn't being an actor meaning you're acting as someone else, not yourself? And he hasn't even read the books which kind of shows how he doesn't really know his character that well. I mean, yeah, the people who work there like the directors and stuff (ugh, I'm horrible with film terms) probably told him how to act and stuff but come on! You have to understand your character and know what he would do in those situations, don't just make him completely different.

Ok first off: I am very jealous that you are done with finals. I have to take mine this coming week, but thankfully I get a little over a month off and I'm going down to WWoHP again Very Happy

Secondly: ....what? He hasn't read the books and he is just playing himself?!?!?!?!?! Excuse me while I go punch a wall...
Ok that done, WHAT?!?! Wouldn't you do research to find out about your character before you start playing them?!?! I've done theater, and we had tons of theater workshops where we had to explore our characters to make our portrayals of them better, and he just plays himself in a beard?!?! *mumble grumble mumble* Reminds me of when I saw a daniel radcliffe interview where he said for the first couple movies to prepare himself all he did was read the lines and then say them... stupid actors >.>
Back to top Go down
MyMischiefManaged

MyMischiefManaged

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm actually taking a theater class nearly every day now, and one of the biggest parts of acting is to believe what you're saying, not simply read off the lines! Ehhhh I just lost a bit of respect for Gambon AND Daniel Radcliffe there. Oh, well... *sigh*
On another note, Dorky, you're going to the WWoHP again?? Sounds fun. Let us all know how it is when you get back! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DorkyBookworm
Admin
DorkyBookworm

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 11:00 pm

MyMischiefManaged wrote:
I'm actually taking a theater class nearly every day now, and one of the biggest parts of acting is to believe what you're saying, not simply read off the lines! Ehhhh I just lost a bit of respect for Gambon AND Daniel Radcliffe there. Oh, well... *sigh*
On another note, Dorky, you're going to the WWoHP again?? Sounds fun. Let us all know how it is when you get back! Very Happy

Yea I lost respect for both of them too. >.>

And yea ^.^ Over the summer I went with 2 friends, but now I'm going to Universal AND disney (god I haven't been there in a while -_-) with my family.
Back to top Go down
MyMischiefManaged

MyMischiefManaged

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 12:25 am

DorkyBookworm wrote:

And yea ^.^ Over the summer I went with 2 friends, but now I'm going to Universal AND disney (god I haven't been there in a while -_-) with my family.

I went over the summer, also, and it was totally awesome. Never been to Disney, though (my friends call me a "deprived child" because of it xD).
Back to top Go down
DorkyBookworm
Admin
DorkyBookworm

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 1:04 am

MyMischiefManaged wrote:
DorkyBookworm wrote:

I went over the summer, also, and it was totally awesome. Never been to Disney, though (my friends call me a "deprived child" because of it xD).

Deprived Child!!!!!!!!!! (sad thing is I would have said that even before I read that your friends call you that cause I say that to all my friends who haven't been to disney too XP)

Back to top Go down
myfriendisdobby

myfriendisdobby

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 5:33 pm

DorkyBookworm wrote:
MyMischiefManaged wrote:
DorkyBookworm wrote:

Deprived Child!!!!!!!!!! (sad thing is I would have said that even before I read that your friends call you that cause I say that to all my friends who haven't been to disney too XP)

OHMYGOD no you know what's worse?! I live in California. DISNEYLAND IS IN THIS STATE BUT I HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE. That is a SIN. A SIN, I TELL YOU! Obviously, my parents did not care about my childhood or else they would have taken me to Disneyland D: I will go there someday. I WILL. I just need money first:| And somehow go all the way to Florida as well.
Back to top Go down
DorkyBookworm
Admin
DorkyBookworm

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 7:30 pm

myfriendisdobby wrote:
DorkyBookworm wrote:
MyMischiefManaged wrote:
DorkyBookworm wrote:

OHMYGOD no you know what's worse?! I live in California. DISNEYLAND IS IN THIS STATE BUT I HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE. That is a SIN. A SIN, I TELL YOU! Obviously, my parents did not care about my childhood or else they would have taken me to Disneyland D: I will go there someday. I WILL. I just need money first:| And somehow go all the way to Florida as well.

=O BLASPHEMY!!! How is that even possible?!?! You can't live somewhere like cali or florida and NOT go to disney! It just doesn't work. It doesn't happen like that!
Back to top Go down
C.Potter

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 6:34 pm

I honestly LOVED Richard Harris, I thought he was gentler and kinder and more fatherly and Dumbledore like than Gambon. I hated Gambon at first, but got used to him. However I still can't get used to the fact that it is all over and I still refer to Gambon as the "new Dumbledore" then to realize he is not new anymore. I loved Richard Harris so much as Dumbledore that whenever I would read the books I would picture him. That is why when I read HBP I started bawling when Dumbledore died, however during the movie I was still upset but I wasn't that upset, it sounds heartless, but with Harris I feel like I had a special connection with that Dumbledore, not Gambon's Dumbledore. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Which Dumbledore? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which Dumbledore?   Which Dumbledore? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which Dumbledore?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Average Wizard Forum :: Movies-
Jump to: